Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Garden Called Surrender

Two others, both criminals, were led out to be executed with Jesus. Finally, they came to a place called The Skull. All three were crucified there--Jesus on the center cross, and the two criminals on either side. One of the criminals hanging beside him scoffed, "So you're the Messiah, are you? Prove it by saving yourself--and us, too, while you're at it!" But the other criminal protested, "Don't you fear God even when you are dying? We deserve to die for our evil deeds, but this man hasn't done anything wrong." Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom." And Jesus replied, "I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise."

Meditation:

Jesus: You hang on the cross in the middle of my two opposites.At times I glance in your direction and wonder why you are there,and selfishly I am thankful that you are.

You bring a presence and comfort to this stark, ugly place.Do you so desire my attention or is it that your friends have abandoned youand you’ll do whatever it takes to be known by me?

I see my brokenness though the injustice of yours
and I just want you to never forget me.
I want to be known by you.
Please remember me.

Other instances I don’t even bother to acknowledge your presence.

For it is foolishness or at least that is how I avoid facing the reality of my pain.
I doubt you are who you claim. I laugh at you, but in my soul I am angry, alone, and afraid.

I need you more now than ever as I hang in excruciating pain
and yet I refuse to open my broken heart. I refuse to surrender to your existence.
I want you to use your power to get me out of this mess I’ve made,
but I refuse to allow you to use your power to make me whole.
So I hang and the pain remains.

My faith comes from a place of surrender. I want to know God and be known by God. My life with God begins with surrender... daily. God is my goal. I want God. My life works when I acknowledge God, " Jesus, it's me- Rick, please remember me... know me." It is so simple, yet so difficult and far too often I choose to hang in pain looking for a fix as opposed to looking in the direction of Love allowing God to do for me what I cannot do for myself. At times it has seemed foolish for I refused to surrender; I wanted to control.Today I want to live in paradise with God. Paradise from the Greek means garden and enclosure. I want to be in the Garden the place of ideal beauty, loveliness and a state of delight… enclosed in God’s presence. I want to be returned to the Garden; to the place God intended; where I can walk naked before God and not be ashamed. This only comes through surrender, never control.