Thursday, May 18, 2006

Sign of the Times Squared, Part 3
















Tabs has this very good question about being "Chosen".

One of my last girlfriends was Jewish and Hispanic. They truly are chosen by God. I mean, I felt lucky to choose her, but she chose to un-choose me. God is not the only one who is fickle or discerning.

But I remember joking with her about how she was “chosen” and I was just one of the “extra-people”. Of course this was ironic because she was an agnostic leaning towards atheism and I am an ordained minister (non-practicing…or so they say). No matter.

I’m not touching the issue of those lived and died before Christ except to say that Paul intimates that their conscience was in full force. We have no excuse. We have a lamb slain for our sins , and perhaps the sins of the whole world should they care to accept such.

Christendom has been made formulaic. But it is not so if you read the narratives. It has always been story. Why does God love story? I honestly do not know. But I do know you are created in God’s image and you think that way. You think “story”. You see your life as narrative.

That’s all I know. Maybe I’ll get it next week. If so, I'll write a story about it.

You like to plan out your story even though you do not know what will happen. God may know what will happen but we have a horrific freedom within that story.

God “saw fit” to unfold Incarnation in a most unsual way, yet one reflective of the scandal of Incarnation…of a God who is also fully human.

God has a genealogy ripe with all that humanity is. Yahweh is not only the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob....He gets born down their way and gets to hear their story from the far end. Posted by Picasa